Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Wishing on stars

Nearly EVERY time I look at the stars filling the night sky, I think of a woman that I never met. Because of something that happened several years ago, I am unable to look at the stars without thinking of Lydia. Lydia was a woman who died of cancer a few years ago. I never met her, but she was extremely important to a young girl who is extremely important to me. It was because of Lydia that I got to watch that young girl do some extraordinary things that showed what an amazing person that young girl was. The girl is Ms. H. H has a heart the size of Canada, and has a special gift with children so naturally as soon as she was old enough, she started babysitting for the people in her neighborhood, and Lydia was the mother of some of those children. I know very little about the family, or much about the "back story", I think there were two children but it makes very little difference here. What does make the difference is that Lydia had cancer, and was facing the fact that she would not get to see her children grow up. H was so touched by the family that she just couldn't sit back and do nothing. So she organized a project that involved raising enough funds to buy airplane tickets and motel costs and entry fees to send that little family to Disney World so that they could spend some precious TIME together make some memories for those children to have of their mother after she was gone. She even made a great scrapbook of the event with Lydia before she died. Needless to say, when Lydia died, H was devastated. But, evidently at one point in time, Lydia had told her that she (H) wasn't alone and that she'd always be looking down and watching. All H needed to do was look for the brightest star in the sky. As cliche as it sounds, it was a lot of consolation for H. I always felt a connection with Lydia because she seemed to understand as I did that H needed to know she was a special person was I always thankful that Lydia made sure that H knew she wouldn't be alone.

(It's funny how something said in passing can have a lasting affect on a person's life.) Ever since H told me that story, I can't help but think of Lydia. And lately I've been wondering what Lydia thinks of the way things are going now. I wonder if she hurts as bad as I do for H when she sees her turning away from people who love her, and I wonder if she wants as badly as I do to help H along her way and steer her away from some of the stuff I see her gravitating towards, and I wonder if she misses the sweet, innocent, selfless, giving child that H used to be as much as I do?
I'm hoping that when Lydia looks down she's been privileged with the knowledge that this is just a phase and that everything will work out, and that we'll see the real H come back to us before too much longer.

I wish I may, I wish I might...

No comments: